Monday, January 11, 2016

Book Hoarder.

I suppose there are worse things to be a hoarder of than books, so I will try to grant myself some grace this morning as I ponder on my obsession with hoarding books.

Like most people, I go through phases of reading. There will be a few weeks where all I want to do is read- Book after book, article after article. I just can't get enough. Then there are those times when I just can't focus. I set the tone with a quiet atmosphere, a burning candle and an excellent book, but then my mind quickly drifts to other things like laundry, how badly I need to take a run or squirrels. You know, the norm.

Luckily, right now I am in a season of reading. I can't seem to get enough of it and my medicine induced insomnia is only feeding it further.  So, without further ado, I will share with you some exciting new reads I have gone through.

Luckiest Girl Alive

I got this suggestion from Reese Witherspoon. My friend, Carrie, turned me on to a book Reese suggested a few months ago and since then I have been hooked. She has a great taste for books with excitement, adventure and substance and I have enjoyed all of her suggestions thus far.

This book is easy to relate to because it's about the story of a young woman in her late 20s and how her childhood molded and made her into an approval seeking person-- wanting to be and look only the best in her life. This is not the only aspect of the book though-- there are lots of twists, turns and secrets that are revealed about her childhood/ adolescence and events that took place during that time. There were definitely some shocking moments and it was very hard to put down at times.



The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

I'll be honest. I only bought this book because of the hype. It seems like every lifestyle blogger in America is reading this book. Not to mention, they are selling it at Anthropologie, so of course it's good, right? Anyways, I took the plunge and bought it.

Because I am an OCD/Clean Freak/Organization freak anyways, there are definitely things in the book that I am already putting into practice, but there are several suggestions that are hitting home with me. 

This book really hinges on the freedom we can get from not being surrounded by clutter or material items. You don't realize the stress or pressure that is put on your subconsciously by being surrounded by excess stuff. No matter how much you organize and clean these items, they are still there and if they don't bring some kind of function or joy to your life, then they really are a burden. It's hard to grasp that sometimes with certain items, but its definitely true.

The author goes over a specific strategy of cleansing and purging that she suggests you use to get yourself to a natural place of tidyness. But this is just step one- the second step can be even harder--- not replacing those items with other things. Eeek. (That is the best part of cleaning out my closet-- going to buy more clothes to fill it, right?!)

I haven't begun to purging process yet simply because it's going to need to be a full weekend, group effort, but I am certainly going to take the plunge and give this a try. I'm sure there will be some blood, sweat and tears shed over said weekend, which I will be sure to share. Yay.

The thing I liked about this book is that you can pick it up and put it down. It's not something that you necessarily have to etch out time to read thoroughly. You can read a chapter, put it down and pick it up a few days later to get some more information. 


So, if you are looking for some good reads to start out the New Year here are two great ones to add to your collection.


Happy reading, friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment