Monday, October 22, 2012

Can't Win Em' All

I am a major people pleas-er. I want everyone to like me. I want to be perfect at everything. I want to win everything and everyone over. I will sometimes completely put myself out in order to make someone else happy or accommodate them. The funny thing about this is... it is impossible.

I recently had a client that was unhappy with me and the entire situation from the get- go. Everything I did for her was never enough. I ended every email with "Have a great day!" and "Let me know if you need anything at all". But somehow I was not "helpful." I bent over backwards, cancelling other appointments, changing my schedule to accommodate theirs. But somehow I was "not accommodating". If you do recall my blog post about me sitting on my counters late one night, eating a peanut butter sandwich and crying.... this client was one of the main reasons for this stress at this time.

I deal with a large variety of people in my life.  Through work, friends, family and acquaintances I see a lot of different kinds of folks. Some are generally happy and easy to work with. Some... not so much. I get yelled at, cussed at and called names on the reg. The funny part is... even after doing this for a few years now.. It still breaks me down... every time. It makes me think, "what could I do to make them have a better experience", "what could I do to make them happy/help their situation". And sometimes the truth is... Nothing. There is nothing you can do. You can be nice, helpful, friendly, accommodating until you are blue in the face and some people are just never going to be satisfied. Period.

Its a sad and harsh reality that you have to come to and say "I am going to be the best 'me' that I can be." and that's it. Nothing more and nothing less. You simply can not let these people tear you down. It's a hard lesson learned, but the truth is... You can't win em' all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment