Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Hedonic Treadmill

"Beware of the hedonic treadmill, which makes it easy to grow accustomed to pleasures and advances, such as a new car, new job title. Too soon, that good feeling wears off"
-Gretchen Rubin

I don't know about you guys, but this is one of my worst traits.
I wish and wish and wish for some particular thing or circumstance to change or grow and once it does, I quickly grow accustomed to it, lose appreciation for it and move on to wanting something else... something more in another avenue of life.

As I was writing in my one-sentence journal this morning, I read the above quote by Gretchen Rubin. It really hit home with me. I always think, "When I get this house, then things will settle down." "When I get this job or position, things will be better." "When I get a new car, I wont have to deal with this anymore." The bad part is that once those things are achieved, I enjoy them only for a short time and then move on to something else.

This is not a good thing.

Today, I am challenging myself to start appreciating and acknowledging the good things in my life that I have yearned for and achieved... those things that I once yearned for and have since forgotten.. Those relationships that have added a lot to my life... my job and success in my career... my home, car and everything inside of it.. the life I like, everyday..

I'm going to take a moment and recognize what these things are and appreciate them instead of moving on and yearning for more.

Don't forget to stop and smell the rose's sweetness in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment