Monday, November 9, 2015

Why do I love murder mysteries so much?

When I was a kid my Aunt Debbie used to buy me Nancy Drew books and I would swoon over them.

Later in life my obsession with shows like "Dateline NBC", "Forensic Files" and "Snapped" became a little much. I actually made myself boycott them for a while because I felt like it was getting weird. Then I just threw caution to wind and decided that I liked what I liked... Murder mystery or not.

I say all of that to say this, my expertise on murder mysteries is strong. So, take these book recommendations strongly. ;)

1. In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware.


This book takes place in England, so the verbiage is super fun. The story is about a group of friends from high school who get back together for a "hen" which is an English version of a bachelorette party. The mixture of old friends and new makes for an interesting dynamic that's fun and awkward all at the same time. The hen turns sour with fighting and bickering, but gets even more sour when someone gets murdered. The unfolding of the mystery behind the murder keeps you on the edge of your seat to the very end!
Its a perfect fall read!

2. The girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Just YES. I cant even. I actually liked this book a little better than the other, but they were both fantastic. I'm not one of those people that stays up late reading books because I cant stop, but with this one, I couldn't stop.

The Girl On The Train also takes place in England. The main character, Rachel, is an alcoholic who rides the train into London everyday and witnesses a couple's lives as she passes each day. She fantasizes about their lives and what she thinks they entail when suddenly one day the girl goes missing. Rachel begins to play detective to try to figure out what happened to Megan, the missing girl. As she dives in deeper to to the ins and outs of Megan's life, she begins to see a tie to her own life, which is very unexpected.

This is certainly a must read!

And that, my friends, if your murder mystery book recommendations for the day!

Happy Monday!






No comments:

Post a Comment