Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sal-Sa.

Even though I often complain of having to weed and clean the garden, I truly love when the vegetables come in and we get to enjoy them.

This year we planted cucumber, (world's largest cucumber at that) banana peppers, red onions, white onions, and a few variations of tomatoes. We have had a great crop of volunteer watermelon as well.

Yesterday I went out into the garden to water, etc and what to my wondering eyes did appear?! A TON of newly ripened veggies for the picking.


My favorite thing to make with the fresh veggies is homemade salsa. Yuuuuu me! I made up my own recipe, but it's salsa- you can't really go wrong. I love using this recipe and thought it would be fun to share it!

Ingredients:

3-5 fresh tomatoes(depending on size)
2 large fresh banana peppers
3 small fresh red onions
1/6 of a large white onion
1 large clove of fresh garlic
salt and pepper to taste

First thing's first. Wash and trim all of your veggies. Then, slice them.
This is where my handy dandy Pampered Chef Chopper comes into play. This is one of my favorite tools to use in the kitchen and its very inexpensive at that. I take a few slices at a time and chop them with the chopper.

That's just about it. At this point I just put it all into a bowl, add my cloves of garlic and salt & pepper to taste. Sometimes I add a splash of lime juice and some greenery for color and texture. This time I used the green onion stems (chives) from the red onions. You can also use cilantro, which is my personal favorite. Mix it all together and what do you got?!


This is fun and easy and so delicious. The fresh ingredients really make it special, so don't skimp out and get the canned tomatoes!

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment