Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Hardest Part

I heard recently someone say (in reference to taking a run) "The hardest part is getting past the mailbox."

Oh how true this is... I know many days I talk myself out of a good run. It's amazing how many excuses I can come up with NOT to run, but I can never seem to come up with a good reason to. ;)

This omen is true in any situation in life. Whether you are leaping into a new job, moving to a new state, losing weight or stepping into any type of new adventure.. the hardest part is always the first step. Once you make the effort and push yourself to get started, you would be amazed at what you can accomplish.

I can specifically remember training for my first half marathon. I was greatly encouraged by my good friend, Hope- an avid runner and enthusiast for sure. The half marathon was in October and we started training in April. The first day we left for our run we barely made it a half mile and I had to stop. Her encouraging words and patience kept me trying and trying. One Sunday afternoon I ran 10 miles without stopping. Now... to those running enthusiasts out there this may not sound like a good accomplishment, but for me... it was huge. I'll never forget: David's sister Abby emailed me and said "It's amazing what we can push ourselves to do." How true those words really are. No matter the situation... we are SO MUCH stronger than we think. We are SO MUCH better than we think and we can accomplish SO MUCH more than we think. Push hard. Work hard. Be your best. Most importantly... take that first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment