Wednesday, January 8, 2014

New Years Revolution.

If I got a dollar for every time I heard someone say "New Year's Revolution" instead of "New Year's Resolution" this season, then I would be rich. I wanted to correct every person I heard say that, but then I felt bad about it... because maybe one of my "New Years Resolutions" was to be kinder and more considerate of others. Too bad.. that's not one of my resolutions, so I decided to publicly make fun of them on my blog. Juuuuust Kidddddding. But seriously... It's "RESOLUTION."

It's that time again: That time of year when the gym is packed. When the streets are filled with runners. When you can hardly find a sports bra in your size. Everyone at lunch is getting salads instead of burgers. Everyone is saving money, paying off debt. Reading more books. Going to church more. The sad and cynical part of New Years Resolutions is that most of them go unfulfilled because of a few reasons:

1. People make unrealistic goals that are too difficult to achieve.
2. It is fun at first, but once getting back into the swing of life, its just easier to resort back to old ways.
3. Some sort of tragedy, rather small or large, strikes and creates a setback to seems too difficult to overcome.

Wow, I sound like a Debbie Downer right now... So, I digress..

This doesn't mean that I don't make New Years Resolutions or that I don't believe in New Years Resolutions. I absolutely do! It is a fun and exciting time to evaluate the past year while planning for a better "this year". I simply try to make goals that are reasonable, yet fulfilling. I want to make goals that I can stick with and enjoy seeing small victories over the course of the year.

So, here we go:

1. This year I am going to run 500 miles.
Maybe this sounds like a major goal to you or maybe it doesn't. For a true runner, you're probably semi-laughing. For someone who doesn't run at all, you're probably thinking this is crazy. However, for me this is a reachable goal that will push me all at the same time. That's roughly 9.5 miles per week. I haven't set up any type of constraint on timing. I can go out on Dec 30 of next year and run all 500 miles if I want (Forrest Gump Style) as long as 500 miles have been completed by 1/1/2015.

2. I will read 15 books this year.
I like to read. It's relaxing, educational and enjoyable to me. The problem is that I am super sonic ADHD and tend to always find something else to do other than reading. 15 books is a hair over 1 book a month... come on people, that's do-able!!

3. I am going to yoga 3 times a month.
This was not in my original list of things to do this year BUT I went to Yoga last night and it rocked my world. At the end, the teacher did this relaxation exercise and he was all like "imagine yourself walking down a boardwalk to the crashing waters of the beach.. you lay on a fleece blanket next to a warm fire and let yourself sink into the sand.." As ridiculous as it sounds, I found that I had completely forgotten all of the worries of my week in that one hour span. I forgot all about the things I needed to do later that night. It was nice and refreshing.

4. I want to move out/rent out my current home.
Don't worry, I'm not planning on moving to India or anything crazy. This home was purchased as an "in between" and "temporary" home to live in with full intentions of renting it out in the future. This is something I want to do this year- totally achievable.

5. I am going to write every day.
I know what you're thinking- that's ridiculous.. you're not going to do that. BUT... there is a catch. Gretchen Rubin, my blog lover, has created a five-year, one-sentence journal. It takes five minutes. There is a quote at the top that somewhat guides you, however you are free to write whatever you want. It's one sentence. It takes no time!

6. I am going to improve on my guitar skills.
Watch out, Taylor Swift. Okay, not really. I love picking around on the guitar, unfortunately, I am not exactly well-versed on it. I can play a few songs, but people certainly aren't lining up outside of the Bluebird to watch me struggle through a couple Hootie and the Blowfish songs. I plan to accomplish this by practice and a few lesson. (Location and teacher of said lessons is TBD.)

7. I am going to reach out to a few friends I have lost touch with.
I am not going to call them out on my blog, but I know who they are. It's not like we lost touch because something terrible happened and we hate each others guts. But, the fact of the matter is that life gets in the way and we lose touch. I know its not realistic to say that we are going to have dinner once a week or even once a month, but I am going to make a strong effort to rekindle that relationship.

8. I am going to climb Mount Everest.

9. I am going to travel the world in a hot air balloon.

10. I am going to do an "Iron Man"/Triathalon.

Okay, just kidding about those last three. I just felt like 10 goals was better than 7.

I will be "Goal Tending" on here monthly to keep myself in check.

Best wishes to all of you and your New Years Revolutions ;)

xoxo

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment